Is your dog protected against heartworm?
- Did you know that heartworm is spread by mosquitoes?
- Did you know that foxes can be infected with heartworm also?
- Did you know heartworm has been detected in Victoria in the last 12 months, including in Hawthorn and the Mornington Peninsula?
- Did you know that not all ‘allwormer’ tablets will prevent heartworm infection?
- Did you know that there are a variety of easy to use, effective heartworm preventatives available to suit you and your dog.
Please speak to one of our staff if you are unsure whether your dog is protected against heartworm, or if you frequently miss doses of their preventative medication.
The map below shows some of the recent heartworm infections detected in the last 12 months as part of the Heartworm Surveillance Project.
Consequences of heartworm infection are serious and potentially deadly. Treatment can also result in sudden death. For these reasons we recommend all dogs be on year-round heartworm prevention. Please contact us for more information.