Looking for a simple, tasty treat recipe for your pups this Easter? How about Sweet Potato and Apple biscuits with hot cross bun style icing?
First gather your ingredients. There aren’t many.
- 1 Medium sweet potato
- 2 & 1/2 cups plain flour (wholemeal preferably)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- Some extra plain flour or cornflour for icing
- Preheat over to 180 degrees Celsius, fan forced
- Pierce the sweet potato with a fork several times and microwave on high until tender (approx 6 minutes for a medium sweet potato)
- Scoop the cooked sweet potato flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of mashed sweet potato, 2 & 1/2 cups of plain flour, 1/4 cup apple sauce and 2 eggs until a dough forms.
- Roll dough out until 1.5cm thick before cutting into shapes. You can use any shapes you like, or cut into squares to resemble little hot cross buns.
- Place on trays on baking paper for icing.
- To make icing in a hot cross bun style, mix either 2 tablespoons of cornflour or plain flour with 1 tablespoon of cold water, then pipe into patterns. Cornflour produces a much brighter effect, but is much harder to work with. Either pipe crosses onto your square cookies, or any pattern you like onto other shapes.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until cookies are crisp.
- Allow to cook completely before feeding to your pets!